Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Did It All for the.... Music!

If you have seen me at all in the last week, you know what Limp Bizkit song has been stuck in my head. But I didn't think it was quite appropriate for the title of the post, lol! They DID rock that song on Friday night though!


Beale Street Music Festival...the very words bring rain to Memphis. But that didn't stop tens of thousands of people to crowd into Tom Lee Park, wearing rain boots and toting ponchos. And what a great weekend of music! Yes, there were disappointments, there were cancellations, there was rescheduling. But keep in mind mother nature was not very nice, and there were also tornadoes. My personal opinion is MiM did everything they could to keep patrons safe, and I am thankful for that. We were lucky most of the severe weather missed us. However, I do also think communication was not quite handled right, and I urge the committee to audit that aspect of it. However, I am not going to let these few hiccups overshadow an otherwise fabulous weekend.


I rushed home from work Friday afternoon, pulled on my mud boots, shoved my rain jacket, a backup poncho, and a few other necessities into my purse, met up with Brian C., and headed down to Tom Lee. Our first stop was the Memphis Flyer tent, where we were lucky enough to have access. A HUGE thanks to the Flyer for your wonderful hospitality. Readers - if you have never looked at this paper, please walk out right now and read it! It contains news, events, and stories from all over Memphis, and its FREE!!


We grabbed a quick beer and headed to our first band of the weekend - Blues Traveler! John Popper may have lost weight, but his harmonica playing is as good as ever. Taking us through hits that were familiar and some that were not, they put on a great show for an energetic crowd.



The line was really long to get in! Blues Traveler!! John Popper snuck into our picture!


Next were the B52s. Yes, they did sing Love Shack, but also completely rocked on the encore Rock Lobster. Fun fun show! They still sound exactly the same! Then came the Goo Goo Dolls who sang a variety of new and old hits, including one of my faves, Iris.


Finally, it was time for the headlining Limp Bizkit! I don't know a ton of their songs, and the night is quite fuzzy by this point (beer being about the same price as water!), but I know they completely killed it. We had been lucky with the weather all night, but it did rain for about 20 minutes off and on during this show. But, I think it only added to the ambiance. As previously mentioned, they played my favorite song with the entire crowd jumping and singing along. They closed with a cover of Faith among a shower of confetti! Awesome!!


The B52s perform. The view from a friend's shoulders at Goo Goo Dolls. Limp Bizkit closes with Faith.


After a (wish it were shorter) stop at Calhouns for beer and trivia, it was time to call it... I wish! The sirens kept me up all night!! But still – what a great Day 1 of BSMF!


No comments:

Post a Comment