Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Time Flies Catchup 1

Wow! How time flies when there is SO much going on. If you follow Downtown Memphis on Facebook and Twitter, I am sure you have seen all the places we go and what we have been up to. But going to all these things keeps us so busy! I apologize for not having the time to actually blog about it. I will do my best to catch up now and stay more up-to-date in the future :-)

I guess when I left you last, I had just seen Jersey Boys. The next weekend I decided to stay home Friday night to watch the Olympic opening ceremonies. I must say I have a bit of an obsession with the Games. My DVR is hating me right now with 4 hour blocks being recorded every night. However that Saturday ended up being a BIG night. We started off at the Flying Saucer celebrating our trivia team wins. With over $400 to spend, it certainly got a little crazy. Once the tab was spent (we must have been drinking FAST), a bunch of us headed to Calhoun’s for their annual Mardi Gras party. Not only did they have a bunch of beads and such to hand out, there was also the gumbo contest! Four local downtownians had each made a huge pot, and for $5 you got to taste all of them and vote on your favorites! Delicious night! No pictures from Saturday? Oops, I plead the fifth J

Sunday I spent the day grocery shopping and cooking. I decided to host a dinner party at my apartment for many of us without dates on Valentine’s Day. And what a dinner party it was. I may live in an 11th floor apartment, but there is still plenty of room for an 8 person dinner table! After two kinds of hors d’oeuvres dips, a homemade red bell pepper soup, baked catfish with spinach and mushrooms, cauliflower mash, sautéed green beans, a savory sweet potato dessert cakes, panna cotta with blueberries, several bottles of wine, and half bottle of rum, everyone was full and feeling good. We continued the evening watching Sunday night TV shows and the Olympics.




Monday and Tuesday were trivia nights – first at Local Gastropub, then at the Flying Saucer. With only two on our team Monday, we placed (a close) fourth but still had fun. Also, as much as some of their food is a bit underwhelming, I will say they make amazing French fries! I forgot how we placed Tuesday, but I think that may have been the week we finished out of the money. With a big party just past, I figure its ok to take one week off from dominance and give someone else a chance! LOL! At least we had some King Cake, it being Mardi Gras and all. A big thanks to my mom for bringing back a real one from New Orleans!


No comments:

Post a Comment