Sunday, March 21, 2010

Birthday Dinner Downtown!

The birthday celebration continued with a group dinner at Harry’s Detour, a local downtown restaurant on GE Patterson. I chose this place for several reasons. The chef/owner, Chuck, is awesome! Great cook, very nice guy. They have a back room that could accommodate all of my friends in one space (also where we could be as loud/crazy as we like). The food is amazing and very reasonably priced (an important distinction when dining with groups). You can bring in your wine (with no corkage fee if purchased at the Corkscrew). Plus, I hadn’t been in a LONG time, so I thought it was time for a visit. And I am SO glad that’s where we went.


First, I must give a shoutout to the Corkscrew and their staff. They were SO helpful in finding magnums of wine that were both affordable and tasty. This is a great liquor store for downtown!


After picking up the wine, I headed to the restaurant where my friends had pushed all the tables together and were ready for food! Our server was phenomenal. I have never seen someone wait on a 15-top with such efficiency, speed, and amiability.



Then came the food! I think between us all, we ordered EVERYTHING on the menu, including appetizers, entrees, desserts, and specials. I shared with a friend so I could try more dishes. We ordered the mussels and shrimp for appetizers, and the grouper special and scallops for dinner. Dessert was the best white chocolate bread pudding in the world, plus a chocolate pecan pie. And as I have awesome friends, I got to try all the other dishes too! I think the other standouts were the duck dish (perfectly seared) portabella mushroom app, and the rum cake dessert. But I will say, EVERY dish on that menu is delicious.






A HUGE thanks to all my friends who came out to dinner (and shared food with me!) and everyone at Harry’s Detour for an amazing meal and birthday night!




No comments:

Post a Comment