Wednesday, March 24, 2010

South Pacific at the Orpheum

Grab your honey bun, head down to the Orpheum, and don’t wash this play right out of your hair!

I went to opening night of South Pacific yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find how enjoyable it was. Never having seen the play OR the movie before, I did not know the story line or what to expect, although I was familiar with quite a few songs.


Set on a series of islands during World War II, the play intertwines two love stories, racial boundaries, and the frustrations of naval island living, amid comedy, song, and dance. The musical numbers I waited for – There Is Nothin’ Like a Dame, I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair, and Honey Bun – did not disappoint. The actress playing the lead character, Nellie Forbush, was fantastic, with that Arkansas drawl, perfect comedic and dramatic timing, and a great singing voice. I also thought the actress laying Bloody Mary was a standout, especially creating quite the flowy atmosphere during the song Bali Ha’i.


The play is driven by musical numbers and dramatic scenes alike. While the sets are sometimes simple, they really give the open aired feel of being on a beach. At only one point did it seem a bit slow, during one song in the second act. Other than that, I was thoroughly engrossed in the show, waiting to see what would happen!

South Pacific definitely has that Rogers and Hammerstein vibe. If you are a fan of classic musicals, I would recommend this show for sure. It is playing through Sunday, and there are still tickets left. Go to www.orpheum-memphis.com for more details, and have yourself Some Enchanted Evening!




No comments:

Post a Comment