Sunday, March 21, 2010

Birthday Fun at the Peabody

For the first time ever, I decided to take vacation on my actual birthday. After a morning workout, I headed to the zoo with my mom. I know it’s not downtown, but I thought it was worth a mention. It was my first time to the new Teton Trek, so we headed there first and then made the rounds to see it all. They have really done some great things there, and I would highly recommend a visit.





My next stop was the Peabody. Believe it or not, I had never seen the famous Peabody ducks march in or out. What better day for a Memphis tradition than my birthday! I met my friend Lydia in the lobby, where she had a bday drink waiting. The Peabody makes the best dirty martini in the city!



I have heard the lobby can get quite crowded for the ducks, but being in the middle of the week, it wasn’t too bad that particular day thank goodness. Children sat on the ground, lining the red carpet, and the adults packed in behind. Lydia and I decided to join the kids and grabbed a spot near the fountain.


The Duckmaster came out and gave a brief history of how the Peabody ducks came about. Even already knowing the story, it was still interesting to hear it told aloud by the charismatic Jason Sensat. There was an honorary duckmaster that day, so she received her certificate and duck cane. I definitely have cane envy now!! Then, the music came on and the ducks climbed out of the fountain, shook off (delighting the children by giving them a quick shower), and headed down the red carpet to the elevator.



After the crowd cleared out a bit, we also headed to the rooftop to see the ducks at home and get our picture with the duckamster!



I hung out in the lobby a bit longer and had another excellent dirty martini! My friends, Kitty and Otto also joined me for a bit of birthday fun. What a great afternoon!



No comments:

Post a Comment