Friday, March 12, 2010

A Second Dinner Party, Trivia, and a Good Luck (and Sad) Send-Off

[Note: Found this old post that I never published. Sorry!!]


After last week’s Valentine’s dinner, we decided to try to make it a regular thing. The original plan was to take a week or two off, but at the last minute a second dinner was planned for Sunday. My friend Steve hosted, but I still cooked. Part of my menu really needed some new kitchen toys, so I headed to Lit Saturday morning. I REALLY love this store. If you need utensils, serving platters, peelers, ramekins, plates, party supplies, salt shakers, bread baskets, heavy duty sinks and fryers, and even industrial size bags of shrimp – this is the place to go. Just make sure to give yourself enough time to browse the aisles… and then go back and look again just to make sure you didn’t miss anything. I went for two things and came back with eight. I didn’t take any pictures of the inside, but don’t be fooled by the unadorned exterior. It is definitely worth a visit.




After a trip to TWO grocery stores Sunday morning, I prepped all day, making another huge (but fun) mess in my kitchen. Then I packed it all up and headed to South Main. Steve was an excellent sous chef, helping with whatever I asked (and pouring the wine!). As others showed up, everyone pitched in to help – whipping eggs whites, stuffing chicken, seasoning asparagus. That is when dinners seem the most fun – when everyone cooks together. Plus, we had delicious hors d’oeuvres of stuffed mushroom and a lima bean dip to keep us going.


We finally sat down to dinner a bit late than anticipated, but at least we the Olympics on all night to entertain us while we waited. The first course was a bacon and poached egg salad with corn muffins (I got inspiration from a Circa dish I tried a few weeks ago). Then came the main course of chicken stuffed with a garlic herb cheese, toasted almonds, and fresh parsley. The sides were roasted asparagus and butternut squash with curry, honey, and raisins. Dessert was a chocolate cheese pot and “bread & jelly pancakes”, which I made up one night (after drinking obviously) and are thick, chewy, and delicious!



Another fun night with friend and good food! I love my downtown family.




After a full and fantastic weekend, we had a bittersweet Tuesday night at trivia. Our friends, Nick & Sarah, are moving away from us. To celebrate their time here in Memphis, we all gathered at the Saucer for cake, cards, and memory sharing. Best of luck to Nick & Sarah! We will miss you. Just know we will all be coming to visit you in Chicago… well, when it gets warmer at least!!




2 comments:

  1. You desperately need a button for visitors to get back to your home page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We fixed it. Should be there now!

    ReplyDelete